Double-wide on full basement?

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

Peter

Double-wide on full basement?

Post by Peter » Sun Apr 04, 2004 11:48 am

Hello,

We are considering the purchase of a new double-wide and putting it on a full basement. Does anyone have any experience with this and any recommendations or warnings? I like the idea because of the extra space below, the easy access to the utilities rather than crawling under the home, the impact on financing since this would be a permanent installation.

I don't plane to have the home modified to include an interior basement access. I am planning to build the basement on a hill where I can have a walk-out basement. I also plan to have access built to the basement from one end of the home where I'll build a garage and breeze-way later.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Eugene

Re: Double-wide on full basement?

Post by Eugene » Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:47 am

Peter,
Several considerations:
1. Make sure the home is designed for a basement set, (Perimeter frame). Otherwise the home will be diffifcult to anchor to the foundation. This is critical!
2. The bottom board material exposed in the basement is very flamible, be cautious.
3. The addition you propose for the basement entry is difficult to do without attaching to the home, which will void your warrenty if you attach it.
4. You might need (depending on any local building codes) an interconnected smoke alarm in the basement, difficult to interconnect them after the fact.

You are much better off buying a home designed for a basement!
good luck,
eugene

Peter

Re: Double-wide on full basement?

Post by Peter » Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:13 pm

Hi Eugene,

Thanks for the information. I'm reconsidering the idea due to the cost mostly but your input certainly helps with the decision. The cost per sq. ft. is around $22.50 and for the house I'm looking at will put the cost at $45,000. That alone is a budget buster if I've ever seen one!

Peter