I complain on the quality of my house manufactured by Skyline

The central location on the web for the owners of manufactured homes to share their experiences.
2ndhousegreg

Re: I complain on the quality of my house manufactured by Skyline

Post by 2ndhousegreg » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:37 pm

We bought this home used on three acres, and your right no home inspection. Thirty years old and first house. I ruined our credit, so I bought home on land contract, we walked through a few times, but doesn't replace a complete home inspection I agree. The home was put there in 1988, we bought in 1992 from that point this home was never moved other than from the factory. I can't remember the brand either, but your right if we did get an inspection never would had so much fun. As far the roof, only 4 years old when we bought shingles edges curling up, evidence there's a problem, summer heat cooking the shingles and or, no ventilation or both. If we bought it or some other family bought it has anything to do with how its built. I myself put the roof on, cut a ridge vent, put two extra large screened vents up in both peaks, also put in styraform pieces that go in eves so insulation wouldn't block air movement. Particle board for flooring instead of 3/4" plywood. You get what you pay for, outside sheathing was hard board, we were having the house sided after all this work, and in and around windows you could put your fingers into the insulation, so we riped that off, took mew windows back out and put on 5/8" plywood for sheathing another set back.
I've been reading alot of these posts, and yes I am to blame for my troubles, and on the other hand I learned alot. At this time my daughter husband, and four kids are living there now after all that. We, Debbie and I , ( are you sitting down) bought her Mom and Dads doublewide in Greenwich, NY, I know what your thinking.....
Here much smaller, 2 x 6 walls, new roof, and back to the same old grind. On this home bank required inspection, we waved it because it was her parents. Renovation here we come, windows are in, doors too, electric is done including new 200 amp service . House is newly sided as is the garage. Blew out wall in dinning room to make extra large kitchen. Tile floor both bathrooms and kitchen, wide board scraped flooring in living room. Undercounter LED lights and led can lights in ceiling and 2 large chained chandeliers also. We hope this is the home we die in, .16 of an acre so quick to mow.....but in the end, I completely agree with you I put ourselves in these two problems nobody else and I take full responsibility for this, learn and move on....take care, thanks for reading.

David Oxhandler

Re: I complain on the quality of my house manufactured by Skyline

Post by David Oxhandler » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:31 pm

If you purchase a pre-owned home without a professional inspection it matters little ifit is site built or factory built. When ever you buy a home pay attention to all the little details..

The cost of a home inspection (including a termite inspection) is about $300. If your inspection discovers problems you are. most times, with in your rights to re-negotiate the price. Any buyer that overlooks this opportunity is making a huge mistake.

It is up to the buyer to do due diligence. Learn all you can about any home prior to purchase.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]