To our new and returning members. We are in the process of migrating the forums to a completely new platform
please pardon our dust as we migrate posts. Some pages may look strange as we complete the migration process.

The Manufactured Housing Forums

What do you want to know about manufactured homes?
The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

Register Login

Cheap Storm Cellars

The central location on the web for the owners of manufactured homes to share their experiences.
Post a reply
5 postsPage 1 of 1

Cheap Storm Cellars

Postby » Thu Mar 14, 2002 1:14 am

Hi, Everybody! I recently purchased a used MH here in KY. (my first), and now with tornado season approaching, I was wondering if anyone has any ideas for building a CHEAP storm cellar? Getting a hole dug is no problem....but what to put in it? My only idea so far, is concrete block.
RichieMaGoo offline

Re: Cheap Storm Cellars

Postby » Thu Mar 21, 2002 6:34 am

i also looked into this. FEMA has a site where you can download plans. as for cheap I dont know. hope this helps
gar offline

Postby » Wed Mar 27, 2002 12:55 pm

Most of the cellars I've seen here in Texas are going to cost you at least $2500. That's about the cheapest I've seen. The prices seem to be fairly consistent accross the country, at least in TX., OK, KS, AR, etc. Hope this helps.

Mike
http://www.dissolveyourdebt.com
Mike offline

Postby » Wed Mar 27, 2002 11:19 pm

Thanks for the input! No link appeared, but I'm sure I can find the FEMA site via a search-engine.
RichieMaGoo offline

Postby » Wed Mar 27, 2002 11:23 pm

Thanks for the info, Mike. I guess what I am looking for, is just a way to build a cheap cellar.....I know the commercial ones start at around $2500- I've been tossing around ideas like using used railroad ties to make a cellar....or perhaps even using a precast septic tank!(I've actually heard of people doing that!). Right now I'm leaning towards the pre-cast.
RichieMaGoo offline

Post a reply
5 postsPage 1 of 1